Sample Bylaw for EPS Young Minds Local Sections
Here you find a sample for the bylaw of a EPS Young Minds Local Section.
Article I: NameThe name of this organization shall be the “[city or university] Young Minds Section”.
Article II: ObjectivesThe objective of this organization shall be:
1. to promote awareness of physics research and applications the academic and local communities,
2. to serve as a means of communication and interaction between students, faculty, and administration on a local, national and international level,
3. to establish interaction between students and young researchers, peer Young Minds Sections, and the European Physical Society headquarters,
4. to broaden the member's and insight of post-graduate opportunities.
Article III: MembershipMembership in this organization shall be open to any student or graduate with a strong interest in physics. In accord with the objectives stated in Article II, members of the Young Minds Section shall be either student or regular members of the European Physical Society or one of its member societies.
Article IV: QuorumA quorum of thirty percent of the total membership shall be required for business to be transacted or elections held at any meeting.
Article V: OrganizationA. Young Minds Section Officers
1. All officers shall be full time students or researchers of [your local university], members of good standing with the European Physical Society or one of its member societies.
B. Nominations and Elections
1. The yearly elected officers will be President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
2. Nominations for the officers shall be conducted by a committee consisting of three members appointed by the President. The committee’s role will be to ensure a full slate of candidates for the officers.
3. Nominations will be open for one week after the first regular meeting of either the Fall or Spring semester.
4. Elections will be held at the second regular meeting of the either the Fall or Spring semester. Voting must continue until a candidate wins by majority of members present. If no majority is obtained, the candidate with the fewest number of votes will be eliminated and voting will continue.
5. In case of a vacant office, a special election will be held at the next regular meeting.
C. Term of Office
1. The term of all officers shall begin at the completion of the election.
D. Removal From Office
1. An elected officer can be removed from office for misconduct or failure to perform the duties of his/her office.
2. Removal must be approved by a two-thirds vote of the members present, after the charges have been openly preferred against the officer by a member of the Young Minds Section - one meeting prior to the meeting at which the removal vote is to be taken.
E. Duties of Officers
President — To run meetings in an orderly fashion, to make necessary decisions, and to represent and be responsible to the Young Minds Section.
Vice President — To assist the President and to serve in his/her absence. To preside over activities of the Young Minds Section.
Treasurer — To be responsible for the financial obligations to the Young Minds Section, identify and apply for grants, coordinate payment of dues, and distribute funds accordingly.
Secretary — To take minutes of all Young Minds Section meetings and to be responsible for all correspondence of the Young Minds Section. To maintain communications with the European Physical Society and the corresponding national society. To assume responsibility for submitting annual reports to the European Physical Society and all other supporting institutions.
Article VI: FundsYoung Minds Section dues shall be paid and funds will be managed by the Treasurer. The Treasurer shall provide appropriate membership information and materials and coordinate dues payments to the European Physical Society. All monies will be distributed to the Young Minds Section advisor who will distribute the funds to the Treasurer.
Article VII: CollaborationThis Young Minds Section shall collaborate with peer Sections local institutions, national bodies and international organizations to generate broad support and to secure funding for its activities. All collaborations shall be organized including supporting professional circles.
[signature of the Young Minds Section]